[Remote] Head of EngineeringApply for this position
Are you an exceptionally strong principal-level software engineer with the bona fides of a sterling career and an independent mindset? Do you want to work fully remotely on challenging projects within a great community? Sounds like you’ll be a great fit for Clearview.
We are currently seeking a Head of Engineering with proven people-management chops to work closely with our management team (CEO, Head of Innovation, Technical Recruiter and Head of Ops). This is a strategic and technical role which will optimize the performance of our suite of small, self-directed engineering teams. With us, you’ll lead our engineers towards their best selves - and by doing so, our projects towards their best iterations.
Target Start Date
For this project, you’d start as soon as possible.
The Role & Responsibilities:
Ensure client satisfaction greater than 8/10 for all technical projects.
- This will require you to monitor client satisfaction scores and collect feedback, while also supporting quality execution from our engineering teams. You will need to iterate on processes for monitoring and supporting both parties.
Collaborate in Solutions Engineering:
- Design solutions, prepare specifications and execute the projects together with clients & internal developers.
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the execution of projects.
- Assist in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Improve operations by conducting systems analysis and recommending changes in systems and processes.
- Communicate daily with your Clearview management teammates.
- Take the lead in new initiatives to improve our Clearview processes and standards -- specifically, those that touch people management.
- Monitor reliability and performance of projects’ internal workflows to suggest improvements.
People (Technical Team):
- Be responsible for the excellent management of our suite of small, self-directed engineering teams putting together these teams and holding teams accountable before and if:when quality drops.
- Surface issues before client-facing problems eventuate.
Mentor our project leads, coaching them to best manage the engineers under their supervision.
- Co-develop a system to measure and continuously develop engineering performance with project leads and CEO.
- Perform regular 1:1 meetings with CV engineers, set and deploy proactive performance monitoring, providing robust feedback where required and keeping an active eye on CVer accountability/communication practices.
- Actively participate in the CV technical recruitment process
You’ll need to be:
- Able to work during GMT business hours.
- Fluent in the English language, both spoken and written (however: we don’t mind which version of the English language it is).
- Possessing an entrepreneurial mindset, as this is a fluid role between Engineering and Management, working closely with our Head of Innovation, Clearview’s key tech decision-maker.
- Possessing a friendly, enthusiastic “bedside manner” to face clients and prospects during initial spec calls.
- Fully skilled up technically, with hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development and a good understanding of agile methodologies.
- Ready to exert a high level of independence in making choices and creating initiatives.
- Experienced in managing small, self-directed teams of developers.
- Strong and proactive in your engagement with stakeholders to brainstorm, discover needs, and plan projects.
- A fully proactive and self-directed time-management expert, very capable and happy working independently while communicating very regularly with your intercontinental teammates.
What we expect of you:
- As a principal-level engineer with 7+ years in a position of technical leadership, you’ll take ownership of the people management processes at Clearview, mentor other engineers and be key in directing the evolution of our projects.
- You’ll get your hands dirty. This is not a “management-only” role. You’ll be expected to be fluent in the tech side of things.
- You managed an engineering team of 25+ engineers.
- You have experience running an engineering team at a services-oriented company.
It would be awesome if:
- You have some experience working remotely (but if you’re a clear communicator with rock-solid reliability and you’re curious about making the leap to remote, we’ll guide you through it).
We’re a remote-first, distributed software company with team members spread across the globe. We help startups and scaling companies build products and grow their engineering teams.
Why do people join Clearview? To make an impact. To grow as people and professionals. To enjoy schedule flexibility unlike anything they’ve ever experienced in a workplace. To be surrounded by developers who they can learn from. We are truly excited to be creating waves in an industry under transformation.
We bring Clearview teammates on as full-time contractors, but our list of benefits looks nothing like traditional contract freelancing. We offer all our teammates:
- Unparalleled flexibility of working hours -- which means operationalized family-first, soul-first values
- Paid skill expansion (so you can keep growing as you work with us).
- Coworking (or home office optimization) budget
- A local meet-up budget for our co-located teammates to hang out outside of work
- Annual summits, for company-wide face time
True innovation comes from an exchange of knowledge across all of our teams. To put people on the path to success, we nurture a culture built on trust, collaboration, and personal growth. You will often work independently, but when you’re working on a team it will be a small, feature-based, cross-functional team. One thing you can be certain of: You will be empowered to take ownership.